- Most auctioneers will charge you a commission fee which is normally 24% once vat, insurance and handling fees have been applied. This fee can go as high as 50%.
- It may take weeks before your item goes into a sale and if it doesn’t sell.. you may be charged unsold item fees, as well as storage costs for large items such as bulky furniture.
- Up to a quarter of the price or in some cases more is deducted from the total achieved is kept by the auction house. So if your item sells for £300, you would receive £225.
- Often fragile antiques can be damaged whilst being handled and on display in an auction room.
- If your item does achieve a sale it may take up to 6 weeks before you receive the final payment.
- Your items may go unsold. When this happens your items are either returned to you or relisted in the next appropriate auction.
- There can be extra costs such as transportation fees, photograph fees, reserve fees, and buyback fees if the item is unsold because of a reserve.
Our purchasing service is prompt and without the delays associated with auction rooms.